Last Updated: 11/02/2022
What kind of information do we collect?
There are cases where Smith Optics may ask you for personal information, such as your name, address, date of birth, gender, email address, prescription lenses (upon your specific consent), face scan (upon your specific consent) that will obtain your facial geometry which is considered as “Biometric Information” and etc. We do this for instance when you participate in our custom program for custom made Imprint 3D products, register for contests/promotions, respond to communication such as e-mail, order glasses with specific medical lenses and for services that require registration or subscription. If you would like to be on our mailing list, we will ask you to actively opt-in. We might also collect personal information from you about a third party, for instance if the Websites allows you to send an email referring someone to our site or an active promotion, in which case we need to know the name and e-mail address of the recipient. That information will only be used for the specific purpose (delivering the email) and Smith Optics will not further contact the third party unless the third party contacts us.
- When you visit our Websites, we may collect so called 'click stream' data (server address, domain name etc.). This information can be combined with information you have provided to us (for instance by registering), which will enable us to analyze and better customize your visits.
- Face Scan information: When you choose to participate in our Smith custom made Imprint 3D products program through download of our App, you will be requested (upon your consent) to perform a face scan in order to receive services and products of our Imprint 3D products program. The photos and videos recorded by the App to obtain your biometric information will not be disclosed or disseminated to a third party and will be kept private unless requested otherwise.
Use of visitors' information
- Smith Optics creates, stores, and utilizes your face scans for the sole purposes of generating and delivering the Smith Optics Imprint 3D program through our App. Once your face scan is captured, the biometric information is encrypted and stored by Smith Optics on our secure server storage system. Smith Optics will retain your face scan for no longer than six months from the date of collection.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature and to provide you with the relevant products or services (for instance to deliver a prize you may have won in a contest). You may be contacted by phone or email.
- To send you information/materials via e-mail or SMS-messages about products, offers and news we think could interest you. This information may relate to products, offers and news of Smith Optics and/or its licensees or carefully selected commercial partners. We only send you this if you have opted-in to receive Smith Optics e-mails and/or SMS messages. In case you do not want to receive any e-mails and/or SMS messages from us anymore, or if you want to modify your personal data or want your personal data to be deleted from our database, we refer you to the 'Opt-out’, delete or modify personal information' section below.
- To analyze visits to the Websites and learn about the interests of our visitors in aggregate and also on personal level to better understand your interest and need, so we can improve our products and services and deliver to you the type of content, features and promotions that you are most interested in.
- To produce your order of prescription lenses in Smith Laboratory and to deliver the products to you.
Who manages visitors' information
If you purchase or pay for products or services via the Websites, the transaction may be handled by our service providers or third party vendor(s) responsible for processing your payment. These entities have their own privacy policies and those terms will apply to you. Please be sure to review them at the links provided during payment processing.
Protection of visitors' information
In order to protect the information, you choose to provide to us by visiting our Websites, we have implemented various security measures. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of people, who have special access rights and are required to keep the information confidential.
Please keep in mind though that whenever you give out personal information online there is a risk that third parties may intercept and use that information. While Smith Optics strives to protect its user's personal information and privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose online, and you do so at your own risk.
We may process, store, and transfer your personal information in and to a foreign country, with different privacy laws that may or may not be as comprehensive as Canadian law. In these circumstances, the governments, courts, law enforcement, or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain access to your personal information through the laws of the foreign country. By submitting your personal information or engaging with the Websites, you consent to this transfer, storage, or processing.
The Websites may allow you to provide comments in various sections of our Sites, such as in product reviews. Please be aware that the information you post in these areas may be available to visitors of the Websites and to the general public.
Our Platform are not intentionally designed for or directed at children less than 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian. We encourage parents and guardians to provide adequate protection measures to prevent minors from providing information unwillingly on the internet. If we are aware of any personal information relating to children that we have collected, we will take steps to securely remove it from our systems.
Disclosing personal information to third parties
Except as described in this policy, we do not sell, trade or otherwise transfer your personal information to third parties without informing you in advance and in accordance with applicable data protection law. Your data may be transferred to web site hosting partners and other parties who assist us in designing and operating the Websites inside or outside of Canada, executing services (for instance prize fulfillment) or help us analyze collected data. These parties will only use your data for the purpose of carrying out the work as indicated and will be required to keep the information confidential. We will also release personal data without consent if such is required by law, for security purposes, or to prevent imminent harm. Personal information collected through out Websites may be shared between the brands and affiliates that are owned or operated by Smith Optics and/or Safilo Group.
Links to third parties
A cookie is a small string of information that the Websites that you visit transfers to your computer for identification purposes. Cookies can be used to follow your activity on the Websites and that information helps us to understand your preferences and improve your Websites experience. Cookies are also used to remember for instance your username and password. You can turn off all cookies, in case you prefer not to receive them. You can also have your computer warn you whenever cookies are being used. For both options you have to adjust your browser settings (like Internet Explorer). There are also software products available that can manage cookies for you. Please be aware though that when you have set your computer to reject cookies, it can limit the functionality of the Websites you visit and it's possible then that you do not have access to some of the features on the Websites.
Smith Optics Imprint 3D Mobile App
If you choose to participate in our Smith custom made products program, upon purchase on our website and through download of our Smith mobile application (“App”), you will be asked, upon your consent, to perform and upload a face scan to receive custom made Imprint 3D products. Smith will obtain facial geometry also considered as “biometric information” through your uploaded face scan to build your requested custom fit goggles. Prior to submitting the face scan, you must consent to allow Smith to obtain your biometric information and store and utilize the information for the sole purpose of generating and delivering your requested custom-made products. Smith’s App utilizes software to capture the contours of your face, create a custom goggle model to your face shape, and then 3D prints a custom goggle to the contours of your captured face scan. In order to protect your biometric information and comply with various laws governing biometric information, Smith has implemented the following specific policies:
- Smith Optics creates, stores, and utilizes your face scan for the sole purpose of generating and delivering the Smith Optics Imprint 3D products which you have ordered.
- There is no disclosure of your face scan. Our systems generate a custom goggle model based on your submitted face scan. The generated custom goggle model is what is disclosed to create your Smith Imprint 3D products.
- Smith Optics will not sell, lease, trade or otherwise profit from your face scan.
- Smith Optics will not disclose or disseminate your face scan, or your custom goggle model, for purposes other than to provide Smith Imprint 3D products.
- Once captured, face scans are encrypted and stored by Smith Optics on our secure server storage system. Service providers are contractually required to store biometric information, such as your face scan, using appropriate security measures.
- Smith Optics will retain your face scan for no longer than six (6) months from the date of collection (but in any case we will not be able to retrieve or connect your information to your identity unless you have an account with us) and thereafter will permanently destroy your face scan from our systems.
Opt-out, delete or modify personal information
You may cancel your registration at any time, opt-out of receiving any e-mails from Smith Optics, or any other data we have (including face scan and Biometric Information). Additionally, you can choose to have all your personal information deleted from our database or corrected. If you want to opt-out, delete or modify your personal information, please visit the registration page. We encourage you to promptly to update your personal information if it changes.
Changes to the policy
We may from time to time need to amend this policy, due to changes in regulations and to keep up with new developments and possibilities on the Internet. We therefore reserve the right at our discretion to make these changes and ask you to check this page periodically, as you are bound by these changes when visiting our Websites.
How you can contact us
firstname.lastname@example.org Smith Optics, Inc. PO Box 160464 Clearfield, UT 84016.